Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wheelchair Clown Shoes

So I just built what might be the coolest set of wheelchair wheels...ever.
Phil Wood & Co wheelchair rec. hubs laced on Surly Clown Shoe rims 
topped off with 4.8 inch wide Lou rubbers!

Thanks to Surly, Phil Wood & Co., and Lance from Rails to Trail bike shop here in E-town, PA!


 All laced and trued-up!



Clown Shoe rims have these funny holes drilled out to save on weight and to show off your rim strip-swag.
Makes for a cool camera angle.

 The tires came in looking like a pair of helmets, covered in tread. 4.8 inches wide. Boom.

 Here's a couple shots comparing the new Surly Phil
(I'm gonna go ahead and call 'em) Big Ballers to typical wheelchair wheels.

 Here's the Big Ballers next to the 2.1 inch tires I typically ride. (Already atypical for wheelchair usage)

The quick-release axles make them swap right on.
Swagger like a cripple.





13 comments:

  1. Mate these are amazing and just what I've been looking for. Are these guys the only ones producing this kinda stuff? I'm in the UK and can't find any shit like this over here.
    Wheey Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there I work at a bike shop and I am looking at building a set of these for my dad's chair. Did you use the full 559 ibd rims or did you find some 24" fats? are you going to worry about attaching a hand-rim at all or just do hands on tires? Also what kind of adjustments have you done with the front end for the caster wheels to still roll in mud/sand/snow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full surly 559,I did attach hand rims. The rims are double drilled for spokes and I used the inner row for the hub and outer row for handrim. For the front I used a freewheel attachment. If you are interested I might be interested in selling them, I just don't use them often anymore.

      Delete
    2. So did you ever sell, if not what price are you looking for.
      With the 559 rim is your overall then a 26 x 4.8
      Did you ever get the chance to use them with your freewheel on sand??

      Delete
  3. could you show how you fitted the handrims?

    ReplyDelete
  4. how would i go about getting a pair of these hubs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I have a few pairs NOS if you are interested in them.

      Delete
    2. I would be interested in a pair of hubs, PLEASE

      Delete
  5. Phil Woods stopped making them unfortunately. I believe you can buy decent ones from Sun through sportaid though

    ReplyDelete